God Our Father, Christ Our Redeemer, the Holy Spirit Our Comforter, Humankind Our Family.
MISSION & VISION
The mission of Mount Carmel A.M.E Church is to love God, to love others, and to magnify the name of Jesus Christ. The vision of our church is to glorify our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, to make true disciples throughout all the nations by means of missionary activity and support, to minister the ordinances, to edify believers, and to do all that is sovereignty possible and biblically permissible to magnify the name of Jesus.
Our leadership recognizes the authority of God, and realizes that we are shepherds who serve under the Chief Shepherd, Jesus Christ. We desire to devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the Word. Our passion and goal is to equip the believers for the work of the ministry until we all attain maturity in the fullness of Christ.
Due to the efforts of faithful members, officers and friends the Church known as Mount Carmel African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in New Rochelle, New York. In 1902 a group of Christians met together in New Rochelle New York and started a prayer band, which later was called Bethel Mission.
This was done under the leadership of Rev. Robert Dutton who later became the first Pastor of the congregation with fourteen members: Mr. & Mrs. John Bivins, Mr. & Mrs. W.H. McElery, Mr. & Mrs. Henry Junior, Mr. & Mrs. Frank Ward, Mr. Mrs. Ambrose Randall, Mrs. Sarah Daisy, Mr. & Mrs. William Baye and Mrs. Mary Vanderhurst.
They worshipped in a small room in an old wooden building located near the corner of Main Street and Franklin Avenue. Later the building was to be sold and they were not able to purchase it so they moved out and worshipped in the home of Mrs. Jessie Canty who lived on River Street.
Later they found quarters to accommodate the worshippers on Depot Place and resided there for many years.
The membership grew in number which made it necessary to change the Mission into a church. This was done in 1910. The Mission became an active organized body and was later called Mount Carmel A.M.E. Bethel Church. The Church's motto is God our Father, Christ our Redeemer, Man our Brother. The Church was granted a Certificate of Incorporation of February 28, 1921 and this was filed by the Westchester County Clerk on June 26, 1926.
After 17 years of faithful service, Rev. Dutton transitioned to be with God in 1919. He was succeeded by Rev. John A. Duvall. On March 26, 1946, two lots were purchased at the corner of Grove Avenue and Charles Street, New Rochelle, New York. The location where the Church stands today.
Due to the efforts of faithful members, officers and friends the church know as the "Friendly Church on the Hill" has serviced the New Rochelle Community for over 100 years. The Church is the beacon in the community and remains strong due to a personal commitment of its officers and members.
The Church has had the following ministerial leadership: Robert Dutton, John A. Duvall, T.E. Jenkins, A.A. Amos, J.E. Thomas, W. Wright, Charles C. Blake, Joseph Wright, S.H.G. Gumbs, James McMillian, Floyd J.P. Washington, Joseph Sterling, J.A. Delaine, Harold F. Berry, Elzae Warwich, C.B. Barrow, Frank H. Jackson, Paul L. Wells, Harold L. Rutherford, Larry E. Dixon, Carlton Woodward, Samuel B. Wilson, Joseph A. Hooper, Carlton Gibson, Horance Henson, Margret V.L. Tyson, Charles Watkins, Dr. Deborah A. McCaffity, Brenda Ford.
On April 27, 2014, at the 192nd Annual Session of the New York Annual Conference the Reverend Paul P. Martin was appointed pastor of Mount Carmel A.M.E Church by Bishop Gregory G.M. Ingram.